Red Lentil & Spinach Soup
Submitted by Carrie on Tue, 05/14/2013 - 11:00pm
Red Lentil and Spinach Soup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 Tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 Tablespoon brown mustard seeds
- 1 Teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ Teaspoon ground turmeric
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup red lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups firmly packed spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- In a soup pot, heat olive oil and add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the ginger, coriander, mustard seeds, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, lentils, garlic, and a dash of salt, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add five cups water and bring to a boil. Decrease the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the lentils have cooked into a puree, about 20 minutes. Taste and add more salt if necessary.
- Just before serving, stir in the spinach and cook for 1 minute to wilt.
Adapted from Louisa Shafia's Lucid Food: Cooking for an Eco-Conscious Life Author