Cider-braised Cabbage & Apples
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 10/08/2013 - 10:52am
Yields: 4-6 servings
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 2 medium yellow onions (peeled, and sliced thin)
- 2 medium apples (cored and sliced thin)
- 1 medium head cabbage (outer leaves removed, cored and chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups sweet apple cider
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Melt the ghee in a large (12-inch) skillet over moderately high heat, then toss in sliced onion. Fry until translucent and a bit caramelized at the edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in apples and fry until fragrant, a further 2 to 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium, toss in chopped cabbage, stir well to bring the apples and onions to the surface, and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour cider into the cabbage and apples, and toss in the bay leaf. Simmer, uncovered, for 30 to 35 minutes or until the cabbage and apples are soften and the liquid is largely evaporated.
- Sprinkle the dish with sea salt and stir in the apple cider vinegar. Continue cooking over medium heat for a further 2 to 3 minutes, then serve.