Spicy Butternut Squash Stew
Submitted by Anonymous on Tue, 12/10/2013 - 12:48pm
- 2 to 3 teaspoons whole cumin seeds
- 2 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- one 14-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- sea salt to taste (2 teaspoons or so)
- Heat a large skillet or pot over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and toast for about 60 seconds. Then add the olive oil and onions and saute for about 5 minutes or until soft. Add garlic, oregano, cinnamon, and jalapeno. Saute for a minute more. Then add the squash, tomatoes, water, and salt. Stir, then cover and simmer for about 20 to 30 minutes or until squash is tender. Taste and adjust salt or seasonings if necessary.
Adapted from www.nourishingmeals.com.