Submitted by Anonymous on Fri, 02/28/2014 - 1:39pm
- ½ cup whole oats
- 1 cup rolled oats
- ½ cup oat bran
- ½ cup wheat germ
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- ½ cup flaxseeds
- ½ cup poppy seeds
- ½ cup sesame seeds
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce or apple baby food
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded dried coconut
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Small pinch Maldon or other flaky salt
- Preheat the oven to the lowest setting. Combine all the ingredients in a big bowl and use your hands to mix—it’s the best way to encourage the development of lovely chunky bits in this granola. Squeeze mixture until the butter forms small clumps and you have clusters of a size that makes you happy.
- Carefully pour the mixture onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Spread it to a single layer (or it won’t get crispy). Place the sheet in the oven and turn the temperature up to 200°F. Bake for 2 hours or until the granola is golden brown and dry, giving the sheet a careful shake a couple of times as the granola bakes. Cool the granola on the sheet.
Reprinted from Fresh Happy Tasty: An Adventure in 100 Recipes by Jane Coxwell. Recipe reprint and photo courtesy of William Morrow Publishers.