Submitted by Silan on Fri, 09/26/2014 - 3:01pm
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups ½-inch cubes sourdough bread (with crust)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 4 medium tomatoes (about 1 ½ pounds), cut into wedges
- 4 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Sea salt or kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large skillet, heat 3 tablespoons of the oil over medium heat. Add the bread cubes and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a large serving bowl and let cool.
Add the remaining 3 tablespoons oil, the vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, onion, olives, basil and capers to the bread, season with salt and pepper to taste, and toss well. Serve immediately. Serves 4.
Recipe courtesy of Peter Berley, The Flexitarian Table.