GROW FOR NYC: CSA in NYC
What is CSA in NYC?
Just Food matches farmers within our foodshed (250 miles from NYC) with CSA groups in the city. CSA members pay the farmer a share price at the beginning of the season. During the growing season, the farmer drops off a variety of farm-fresh food for the CSA members each week.
If you have questions about becoming a farmer for CSA in NYC, contact Qiana Mickie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why sell through a CSA in NYC?
There are many benefits to selling through the CSA model, including:
- Sell your vegetables and other products directly to NYC customers.
- Get paid up front by members who commit to the entire season.
- Get to know the people who buy your products!
- Work with a core group that takes responsibility for managing outreach and other details of CSA administration.
- Have a stable and consistent market!
Who can sell through CSA in NYC?
Just Food works with farmers who:
- Understand and are committed to the CSA concepts and goals
- Are experienced in growing and marketing for CSA or in diversified vegetable production
- Have at least two years of market garden production experience or hands-on apprenticeship
- Will communicate regularly with their CSA group (being open to and enjoying regular communication), especially being upfront when there is a problem
- Can be flexible, see CSA as a learning process, and will adapt to changing circumstances
- Will be flexible for low-income members in a mutually beneficial partnership
- Grow produce organically (certified or non-certified)
What is expected of a CSA in NYC farmer?
- Plan to provide a reasonably sized and varied share at a price fair to farmers and CSA members
- Work with input from the CSA group on vegetable selection
- Drop off vegetables in a timely manner
- Communicate regularly with CSA coordinators about CSA administration, what is happening on the farm, trip/events, etc.
- Meet with CSA members in the city during the off-season
- Offer members at least one visit to the farm per season
|GET JUST FOOD NEWS!|