GROW FOR NYC: Fresh Food for All
What is Fresh Food for All?
Just Food's Fresh Food for All program helps food pantries and other emergency food programs make fresh, nutritious, locally grown food available to families and individuals in need.
Fresh Food for All Direct Purchasing
Just Food matches farmers within our foodshed (250 miles from NYC) with food pantries, soup kitchens, and other congregate meals programs in the city. Direct Purchasing arrangements vary according to the needs of the farm and the institution, but typically involve a weekly ordering system with either the farmer dropping the order off at the institution or the institution picking up the order from the farmer at a nearby market. If you have any questions about direct purchasing, call Abby Youngblood, Fresh Food for All Coordinator, at 212.645.9880 ext. 227 or email at abby[at]justfood[dot]org.
Why sell through Fresh Food for All Direct Purchasing?
Benefits of selling through Direct Purchasing:
- Connect with Food Pantries, Soup Kitchens, and other programs interested in buying your produce!
- Sell your produce to communities that need healthy produce.
- Help fill your truck on days you are already coming into NYC.
Who can sell through Direct Purchasing?
Just Food works with farmers who:
- Grow and market diversified vegetables.
- Have at least two years production experience.
- Will communicate regularly with the group in the city especially when there is a problem.
- Have the capacity to be flexible, see Direct Purchasing as a learning process and be able to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Are committed to providing produce to low income community members and are open to providing flexibility in order to create a mutually beneficial partnership.
- Use sustainable growing practices. Just Food does not exclude farmers who are not practicing organic methods of production. However, we are committed to supporting sustainable growing practices.
- Can manage a weekly ordering system.
What is expected of a Direct Purchasing Farmer?
- Plan to provide produce at a fair price to farmers and the institution.
- Work with input from the institution on vegetable selection.
- Depending on the details of the direct purchasing arrangement, either drop off vegetables in a timely manner or have the order prepared when the institution comes to pick up at a market.
- Communicate regularly with the institution about produce availability, ordering, deliveries, payment, what is happening on the farm, etc.
- Meet with the institution in the city during the off-season.
- Be open to hosting one farm trip per season.
To apply for Direct Purchasing, download our application.
Local Produce Link
Just Food is no longer accepting new farmer applications for Fresh Food for All's Local Produce Link program.
To learn more about the Fresh Food for All program, visit the Fresh Food for All section of the website.
|Get Just Food News!|